Review: "Starfall" by Melissa Landers

Tuesday, March 28, 2017





Published: February 7th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

Series: Starflight #2

Format: Hardcover; 368 pages

Genre: YA Fiction; Science Fiction

How I Obtained this Book: I borrowed a copy of this book from my local library. I was not asked to give a review. All opinions are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️









SUMMARY

When Princess Cassia Rose fled her home world of Eturia to escape an arranged marriage, she had no idea her sudden departure would spark a war. Now after two years hiding as a ship hand, she is finally returning to her beloved home, but not in the way she imagined. Shackled by bounty hunters, she is violently dragged back to account for her crimes. Her only solace is that the Banshee crew managed to evade capture, including Kane Arric, her best friend...with occasional benefits.
Meanwhile, Kane and the rest of the crew of the Banshee plan a desperate rescue mission. But when they arrive on Eturia, Cassia isn't exactly in need of heroics—she's claimed her birthright as Eturia's queen, but has inherited a war-torn planet simmering with rebellion. Cassia must make alliances, and Kane, the bastard son of a merchant, isn't a choice that will earn her any friends. Kane knows he will never find someone to replace Cassia—and is certain she returns his feelings—but how can he throw away his own promising future waiting on a queen?
When the outer realm is threatened by the dangerous Zhang mafia, Cassia, Kane and the rest of the Banshee crew uncover a horrifying conspiracy that endangers the entire universe. In the face of unspeakable evil, Cassia must confront her own family's complicated legacy on Eturia and decide once and for all who her real family is.


REVIEW

I read the first book "Starflight" by Melissa Landers last year right after it came out. It was one of my absolute favorite books of 2016. After I read it, I saw on Goodreads that there would be a sequel coming out from the point of view of Cassia. I was a little disappointed to find out that it wasn't from Solara and Doran's perspective but I was still extremely excited.
So I've been waiting for over a year to get my hands on this book, and needless to say I've had very high expectations for it. Unfortunately, it was no where near as good as the first. All of the characters were still there in this sequel but they weren't nearly as interesting.
I don't remember much of my impressions of Cassia and Kane in the first book but I didn't really enjoy their perspectives or characters in this one. I liked Cassia the least. Her character was a bit annoying and I hated the way she treated Kane. My favorite character in this book was Renny who was so sweet and so loyal.
While a lot happened in this book, it was not nearly the exciting ride that the first book had been. It was barely recognizable as a sci-fi novel. The sci-fi aspects were my favorite parts of "Starflight" and it was very disappointing to have so much less of it.
I think I probably would have liked this a lot better if I hadn't been expecting it to be more like the first book. The story was okay but not exciting.
I do, however, love the relationship between all of the characters as a whole. I love stories about families that are created and how they become fiercely loyal to one another. These characters would do anything for each other and that is something beautiful. If I were taken aboard any crew, I would want it to be the Banshee.

Have you read this book? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Let me know down in the comments!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)