Review: "Wayfarer" by Alexandra Bracken

Saturday, February 18, 2017


Published: January 3rd 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

Series: Passenger #2

Format: Hardcover; 532 pages

Genre: YA Fiction; Time Travel; Historical; Romance

How I Obtained this Book: I checked this book out at my local library. I was not asked to give a review. All opinions are my own.


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️









Summary

All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected—Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master’s heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta’s past could put them both at risk.

Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realizes that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.

As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognizable… and might just run out on both of them.

Review

Please keep in mind that this book is a second in the series and what I write may spoil the first book.

Last year around this time I read the first book in this duology and it ended up being one of my least favorites of the year. After I finished reading it, though, I decided I would give the second book a try, when it came out, to see if it got better. Looking back on it I wonder if I may have been too critical with my review. I had just started writing reviews and so I was trying to get the hang of it. You can read that review here: "Passenger" by Alexandra Bracken.

I think I did enjoy this one a lot more than the first or as much as I can remember of the first, since I read that one a year ago. There is a lot more happening in this story, as all of the information about the world and how time travel works was explained in the first book. The writing is absolutely beautiful. There is no doubt that this is a very well written, thought out, and researched book. These are the only two book I've read of hers but I can see that she is a great writer.
I enjoyed traveling through time with Etta, Julian, Nicholas, Sophia, and a new great character. I thought all of the characters were fun and unique from each other. I love how loyal they are to one another and to see how their friendship grows over the course of the story.
I found the ending to be very satisfying. It only left a few questions in my mind but not really big ones. I heard somewhere that this was supposed to be a duology but the ending seemed to leave room for a third book, possibly. Though I think it would still do perfectly well as just the two books.

One thing I had a hard time with was the book starts out with a really gruesome murder scene and there is also a lot of violence throughout. I just have a hard time reading those types of scenes as I'm very sensitive. I also had to cringe at the profanity that was used in the book, but again that's a personal preference thing. So if you don't have a problem with those two things then you'll enjoy the book more.

I had a hard time choosing between a three star and a four star rating. The book really isn't very fast paced and I wasn't in love with it but it was still good. So I just went with three stars.

If you enjoyed the first book or even if you didn't love the first book I'd still recommend giving this one a try. In my opinion it is better than the first. Plus it's nice to find out what happened to all of the characters in the end.

Have you read this series? What did you think? Let me know down in the comments. No spoilers please.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)