Review: "The Island of Dr. Libris" by Chris Grabenstein

Monday, February 27, 2017

Published: March 24, 2015 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Series: Stand Alone

Format: Audiobook; 5:09:48; Narrated by Kirby Heyborne

Genre: Middle Grade Fiction; Fantasy; Adventure

How I Obtained this Book: I listened to a copy of this audiobook that I checked out through my library using the OneClickDigital website. I was not asked to give a review. All opinions are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️









Summary
What if your favorite characters came to life? Billy’s spending the summer in a lakeside cabin that belongs to the mysterious Dr. Libris. But something strange is going on. Besides the security cameras everywhere, there’s Dr. Libris’s private bookcase. Whenever Billy opens the books inside, he can hear sounds coming from the island in the middle of the lake. The clash of swords. The twang of arrows. Sometimes he can even feel the ground shaking. It’s almost as if the stories he’s reading are coming to life! But that’s impossible . . . isn’t it?

 Review


I really enjoyed Chris Grabenstein's Mr. Lemoncello books so I decided to read more books by him. I loved the premise of "The Island of Dr. Libris". How fun would it be to have famous book characters come to life? I can think of a lot of book characters that I'd love to meet.
This was such a clever story that I think a lot of ages would enjoy. I love books that encourage reading. Billy is a boy who really loves games and isn't much into reading, but he has a great imagination. His experience on Dr. Libris' island helps him to fall in love with stories.
The only problem I had with the book was the ending. It felt rushed and unresolved to me. There was a part in it that didn't seem to make much sense and was not explained in a way that could make it believable. It was very disappointing as the rest of the book had been very enjoyable.

As far as the audiobook goes, I loved the narrator of this one. He performed each character's voice distinctly and made them come to life for me. There are no illustrations in the book so you're not missing out on that by listening to the audiobook. There is a crossword puzzle at the end of the book along with some information about a few of the famous book characters. In the audiobook though you get to hear a note from the author, which was a nice edition.

Overall this was a very unique and fun read, with a great twist on the classic children's stories.

If you could meet any story book character who would it be? I'd want to meet Harry Potter or any of the characters in that series (except for Voldemort)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)