Review: "The Candymakers" by Wendy Mass

Monday, February 13, 2017



Published: October 3, 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers 

Series: The Candymakers #1 of 2

Format: Audiobook; 11:37:52; Narrated by Mark Turetsky

Genre: Middle Grade; Fiction; Mystery

How I Obtained this Book: I listened to a copy of this audiobook that I checked out through my library using the OneClickDigital website. I was not asked to give a review. All opinions are my own.


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️






Summary 

"In the town of Spring Haven, four children have been selected to compete in the national candymaking contest of a lifetime. Who will make a candy more delicious than the Oozing Crunchorama or the Neon Yellow Lightning Chew?
Logan, the candymaker's son, who can detect the color of chocolate by feel alone?
Miles, the boy allergic to rowboats and the color pink?
Daisy, the cheerful girl who can lift a fifty-pound lump of taffy as if it were a feather?
Philip, the suit-and-tie-wearing boy who's always scribbling in a secret notebook?
This sweet, charming, and cleverly crafted story, told from each contestant's perspective, is filled with mystery, friendship, and juicy revelations." -Goodreads

Review

This is a book that has been on my to read list for a long time. I probably wouldn't have even gotten to it this year if I hadn't come across it online as an audiobook. It's a large book and was almost 12 hours long, but with all the driving I did I managed to finish it within a month.
I believe I first found out about this book when browsing books at Barnes and Noble. I was attracted to it by the that cover. Isn't it gorgeous! I love the bright colors and of course, I'm a sucker for anything about candy and sweets! It makes me hungry for candy, just looking at it.
When I started listening to the book I did not reread the description and so I went into it not really knowing what the book was about. All I knew was that kids were entering a candy contest. This book turned out to not be at all what I was picturing in my head. There was a candy contest, but there was so much more to it than I could have guessed. I also didn't realize that the book was told from the perspective of the four children. So that threw me off a bit.
However, I loved that it was told from all of their perspectives. These kids were fun and a bit weird, but very lovable and unique. In fact, this whole book was very unique and original, in my opinion.
One of the things I loved about this book was all of the twists and how well everything came together at the end.
The audiobook itself was great as well. The narrator, Mark Turetsky did an excellent job of performing the story and I felt like I was right there in the candy factory with the children. I flipped through the actual book at the library and there were no pictures in it so you really don't miss out on anything by listening to the story.
I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a fun mystery. Oh and don't read this book while you're hungry! The whole time I was listening to it, I was craving sweets!

Have you read this book? What did you think of it? Let me know down in the comments.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)