Review: "Quiet" by Susan Cain

Wednesday, January 25, 2017



Published: January 24th 2012 by Crown Publishing Groups/Random House, Inc


Series: Stand alone

Format: Hardcover; 337

Genre: Nonfiction; Psychology; Self help

How I Obtained this Book: I purchased this book from a seller on Amazon. I was not asked to give a review. All opinions are my own.


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️










Summary

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

...This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how introverts see themselves. -Goodreads

My Review 

"Quiet" by Susan Cain has been on my to be read list for several years now. It was first recommended to me by a very close friend of mine who knows, just as well as I, that I am an introvert.
I began reading this book several times since it was recommended to me but never go past the introduction. This year I decided I was going to actually finish this book.
It was a very interesting read, well thought out, very very thoroughly researched, and helped me to understand what it's like to be an introvert a bit more.
Over the past several years I have done some looking into what it means to be an introvert and found that I definitely fell under the category. This book reenforced what I already knew about myself. Not only am I an introvert but I am a shy and overly sensitive one. When ever someone new meets me, the very first thing they notice about me is that I'm quiet and the first statement out of their mouth is almost always, "You're so quiet". 
It's always been a mystery to me, how someone can notice that about a person so quickly. I often only realize I'm quiet because someone always points it out to me. It is absolutely never quiet in my head so sometimes I forget that I am a quiet person.
I've often felt terrible about being so quiet, about not always speaking up, or saying what's on my mind. As I've learned more about myself and what it means to be introverted I have come to accept and even love that I am a quiet person. Thinking things through before speaking has helped me out in so many instances. I am happy with who I am and I feel comfortable being in my own skin and don't want to try and force myself to be someone I'm not. These realizations has made life so much easier and happier. When someone says to me, "You're so quiet" I am happy to hear it. 

The scientific studies in this book were hard for me to get through but very helpful as they back up the claims that she makes. I would recommend this book to someone who has often been told they were quiet or have felt bad about being a quiet person. And I would highly recommend this book to anyone who knows quiet people. Being quiet is not something to be ashamed of. It is not something to make someone feel bad about. It is not something to try and change. It is okay to be a quiet person and this book explains why.

Have you read this book? I'd love to know you what you thought of it. Let me know down in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)