Review: "Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics" by Chris Grabenstein

Friday, January 27, 2017




Published: January 5th 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers


Series: Book 2

Format: Audiobook; 5:55:29; Read by Jesse Bernstein

Genre: Middle Grade; Mystery; Fiction; Adventure

How I Obtained this Book: I listened to an audiobook copy of this that I got through my library on the Overdrive website. I was not asked to give a review. All opinions are my own.


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️





Summary

Welcome, boys and girls, readers of all ages, to the first-ever Library Olympiad! Kyle and his teammates are back, and the world-famous game maker, Luigi Lemoncello, is at it again!

This time Mr. Lemoncello has invited teams from all across America to compete in the first ever LIBRARY OLYMPICS. Will it be fun? Like the commercials say. . . HELLO? It’s a Lemoncello! But something suspicious is going on . . . books are missing from Mr. Lemoncello’s library. Is someone trying to CENSOR what the kids are reading?! In between figuring out mind-boggling challenges, the kids will have to band together to get to the bottom of this mystery.
Now it’s not just a game—can Mr. Lemoncello find the real defenders of books and champions of libraries? -Goodreads

My Review

I picked up the first book in this series, in January 2016, on a whim when I was browsing books at Target. I was intrigued, not only by the cover art, but by the story idea. As a lover of both libraries and games, this sort of library sounds absolutely perfect! So I decided to buy a copy. I didn't get round to reading it until the end of 2016 but I loved it. So when I found out there was a second I wanted to give that a read as well. I bought the book but ended up listening to the audiobook.
It was fun hearing this story read by Jesse Bernstein. I will, however, probably have the name (and the way he said it) "Marjory Muldauer" stuck in my head for the rest of my life (Listen to the audiobook and you'll know what I mean).
The gang is back again, to prove that they are the best, when they compete in Mr. Lemoncello's library Olympics. Not only is this a fun, lighthearted story, with a setting that I wish was real, but it had an excellent message about censorship and book banning. I also love that it encourages love for reading and libraries. What a great messages for children to read about!

I would highly recommend this for children and the children at heart.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it? Let me know down in the comments!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)