Review: "Nano What Now" by Hillary DePiano

Friday, May 6, 2016








Published: February 28th 2016 by HillaryDePiano.com

Genre: Non-Fiction, Writing Advice

How I Obtained this Book: I received a free copy of this book on Amazon and in exchange the author has asked for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️














You’ve just completed a novel during the National Novel Writing Month challenge! Or maybe you completed part of one. Or signed up with really good intentions and then only wrote a couple of words. Either way, you’re staring at 30 days worth of words and wondering… What now? How exactly do you start a revision and discover your editing process? How do you know if you’re ready to hire an editor? How do you motivate yourself when faced with draft dread or editing blocks? How can you translate what you’ve accomplished so far into a professional writing career?

From tips for finding beta readers, exploration of traditional vs. self-publishing, and strategies to motivate yourself to keep writing regularly post-NaNoWriMo, NaNo What Now? is a quick and easy-to-read unofficial guide to the next steps. In a sea of general writing advice, NaNo ML and multi-year veteran Hillary DePiano offers practical and specific solutions tailored to the unique nature of the NaNoWriMo challenge and holds your hand through the rest of the journey. It’s time to finish what you started and make your book the best it can be. -Goodreads

This year, 2016, marks ten consecutive years that I've participated in National Novel Writing Month. In those ten years I have participated in seventeen Nanowrimo events. Out of those seventeen events I've finished a rough draft three times and have done nothing with them.

Before reading this book I was on the fence about taking the time to edit my rough draft from this past November. After reading this book I have committed to editing and finishing my draft.

I've wanted to finish my drafts and edit and I've dreamed of having a novel ready for publication, practically my whole life. I've lacked the confidence to do so and the knowledge of where to begin. Over the past year my confidence in my writing has been getting stronger. The idea that I could actually complete a finished draft has slowly been seeping into my brain and this book helped push me over the edge to realize it is something I could actually do. Or at least work hard and try.

I did a read through of the book to get an idea of what was in it. Now I plan to go back through it slowly and implement the advice into my own editing process. I love this book because it is geared specifically to those who have written a novel during the Nanowrimo event by someone who has participated as well. Not only has Hillary DePiano participated in the event but she has also completed and published her work.

I gave this book five stars because I found it to be very inspiring, fun to read, and motivational. I'm excited to get to work and use what I learned to set up an editing schedule. I'm also motivated to finish what I start and I look forward to writing and editing more drafts. But first I will start with the completed draft I wrote in November.

I recommend this book to anyone who has participated in National Novel Writing Month, whether you have finished a draft or not. Learn how Hillary DePiano has edited her books to completion and use that information to form your own editing process.




About the Author:


Hillary DePiano is a playwright, fiction and non-fiction author best known for her play, The Love of Three Oranges which has been performed in theatres around the world, and her e-commerce blog The Whine Seller. She was the proud recipient of the 2002 C. Willard Smith Award for Creativity in Theatre for writing and directing The Love of Three Oranges and both the 2001 Julia Fonville Smithson Memorial Prize and 2001 West Branch Literary Prize for Fiction for her novella, The Author. Other works include the bestselling e-commerce title Beyond Amazon, eBay and Etsy, Daddy Issues (1-Act Play), and the holidays comedies Polar Twilight and New Year’s Thieve.

She is also an avid vintage toy collector and has authored a guide to both My Little Pony toys and She-Ra: Princess of Power action figures and for Priced Nostalgia Press’s Collector’s Inventory series of price guides.
Since 2008, Hillary has volunteered with NaNoWriMo.org and its sister event, Script Frenzy, as a Municipal Liaison.


Links:





Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts down in the comments!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)