Review: The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead

Monday, May 2, 2016






Published: April 5th 2016 by Razorbill

Series: The Glittering Court #1

Pages: 416

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance

How I Obtained this Book: I checked out a hardback copy from my local library. I have not been asked to review this book and all thoughts are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️










Big and sweeping, spanning from the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.
Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training, and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.
When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and then when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.
But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands… -Goodreads

This book was one of my anticipated books this year because it sounded so good. There was a lot of hype on this book all over booktube and bookstagram and I wanted to see what all of the hype was about.

After the book was released this month, I noticed a lot of negative feedback. I was really worried that I wouldn't like the book, but I didn't need to worry because I loved it!

I can understand why a lot of people didn't like this book, though. At first I thought that I may rate this a four star but as I progressed in the story I knew it was going to be a five star. It's not my absolute favorite of my five star reads but still a favorite none the less.

The reason I first suspected that I wouldn't like this as much as a five star read was because of the reason Adelaide decided to leave home and join The Glittering Court. She is being pushed into an arranged marriage so she decides to run away and join a program that sells women into marriages. At first look this seems to be about the same ordeal, maybe even worse, but I came to understand her reasons for doing it, and they made sense to me. By joining the Glittering Court, she has more of a chance at choosing who she marries than she would if she stayed home. Although I don't like the idea of women being sold off as live stock to men, the way it's written makes it seem like it's not that entirely bad. You see these women are all happy to be doing this. And yes they knew what they were in for when they joined. None of them are forced into it. They all have chosen of their own free will to join the Glittering Court and they're excited about it. Why? because it means a much better life for them, a life they would not be privileged to otherwise.

This was my first experience with a Richelle Mead book and now I'm interested to check out her other books. I loved the writing and I loved all of the characters. I especially love Adelaide and Cedric. I'm very excited to read the next two books in this series as they will be from the points of view of Tamsin and Mira, who become close friends with Adelaide.

Be warned that Tamsin and Mira's stories are purposely left unsolved and a lot is left out. This is because we don't want any spoilers on their stories for their books. Cause what fun would their books be if we already knew everything that happened? I just wish I had both of these books now!

I enjoyed every bit of Adelaide's adventures, the love story was so perfect and my favorite part of this book, and the ending was so satisfying. I 100% ship this couple!

I've heard that this book has been compared to the Selection series by Kiera Cass, and I'd say that's some what true. There are a few similarities, however, I still think this book is very unique. I did love this book more than I loved the Selection series. I found Adelaide to be an a lot more enjoyable protagonist than, America.

Another thing to be warned about is that this book is being sold in the Fantasy genre, but it isn't what you would think of when you think of Fantasy. No magic at all. It's more of a historical fiction novel, except that it's not set in our world. The world, however, is very similar to the time period where settlers were traveling to the new world (America). Since I knew this going into the book, it did not bother me at all. I've judged it for exactly what it is and found it to be very enjoyable.

Have you read The Glittering Court? I'd love to hear your opinions, as I know there are a lot of mixed views on this one. Let me know down in the comments! (No spoilers, please).








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)