Review: "Unhooked" by Lisa Maxwell

Friday, April 22, 2016






Published: February 2nd 2016 by Simon Pulse

Series: Stand alone

Pages: 342

Genre: YA, Retellings, Fantasy, Adventure, Romance

How I Obtained this Book: I checked out a hardback copy from my local library. I have not been asked to review this book and all thoughts are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️





For as long as she can remember, Gwendolyn Allister has never had a place to call home—all because her mother believes that monsters are hunting them. Now these delusions have brought them to London, far from the life Gwen had finally started to build for herself. The only saving grace is her best friend, Olivia, who’s coming with them for the summer.
But when Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by shadowy creatures and taken to a world of flesh-eating sea hags and dangerous Fey, Gwen realizes her mom might have been sane all along.
The world Gwen finds herself in is called Neverland, yet it’s nothing like the stories. Here, good and evil lose their meaning and memories slip like water through her fingers. As Gwen struggles to remember where she came from and find a way home, she must choose between trusting the charming fairy-tale hero who says all the right things and the roguish young pirate who promises to keep her safe.
With time running out and her enemies closing in, Gwen is forced to face the truths she’s been hiding from all along. But will she be able to save Neverland without losing herself? -Goodreads

I first stumbled across this book on Amazon's front page when they were advertising its release. I heard somewhere that if you loved Once Upon A Time's version of Peter Pan then you would love this book and so I knew I had to give it a try. The third season of Once Upon A Time, which featured Peter Pan, was my absolute favorite season so far and I LOVED their take on Peter Pan. I requested this book from my local library and they ordered it. I am so glad they did because HOLY COW I LOVED THIS BOOK! I have to say that I loved it so much that as soon as I read the last page I grabbed my phone and ordered it off of Amazon. I want to read it over and over and over again! And I don't find books I love this much very often.

So this review is basically just me fangirling over how much I am in love with this story.

First of all the writing was breathtakingly beautiful, in my opinion. I believe the author did a stunning job at picking out every word she used. From the very beginning I was pulled into this world by the descriptive writing and the whole time I was just swooning over her words.

I felt so excited the whole time I was reading this, I kept wanting to know what would happen next. I enjoyed meeting "Captain Hook" and Peter Pan and the lost boys and every single one of the characters. What an exciting adventure this was!

Captain Rowan is so swoon worthy and gosh so was Peter pan! Gwen was such a great character to follow along with and I enjoyed hearing the story from her perspective. I felt like I was really in the story with her!

As the cover says, this is most definitely not the Neverland we know, and I'm so excited because of this! (Don't get me wrong though I love the original Neverland too) Even though this story is a retelling, it is still so original and I love that so much! It may be sort of like Once Upon A Time's Peter Pan but there are so many differences that it still makes it original. I also noticed one little thing in it that reminded me of The Lunar Chronicles, which is a story I've been falling in love with as well.
There was a tiny bit of romance in the book and I thought it was so incredibly perfect and I loved it so much! More swooning. I don't even know what to say except that I loved it!

I loved every single minute of this book and I of course highly recommend it! Go read it. It was amazing! If you love Once Upon A Time's Peter Pan and you love adventure, and retellings then you will love this book!

Lisa Maxwell, I love you for writing this book! It is everything I want in a Peter Pan story and more!

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! Let me know down in the comments!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)