Review: The Never Land Wars by Audrey Greathouse

Friday, April 8, 2016







Expected Publication: May 9th 2016 by Smashwords Edition
Series: I sure hope this is going to be a series :)

Pages: ebook 302

Genre: YA, Retellings, Fantasy

How I Obtained this Book: I received an eARC copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️







Magic can do a lot—give you flight, show you mermaids, help you taste the stars, and… solve the budget crisis? That's what the grown-ups will do with it if they ever make it to Neverland to steal its magic and bring their children home.
However, Gwen doesn't know this. She's just a sixteen-year-old girl with a place on the debate team and a powerful crush on Jay, the soon-to-be homecoming king. She doesn't know her little sister could actually run away with Peter Pan, or that she might have to chase after her to bring her home safe. Gwen will find out though—and when she does, she'll discover she's in the middle of a looming war between Neverland and reality.
She'll be out of place as a teenager in Neverland, but she won't be the only one. Peter Pan's constant treks back to the mainland have slowly aged him into adolescence as well. Soon, Gwen will have to decide whether she's going to join impish, playful Peter in his fight for eternal youth… or if she's going to scramble back to reality in time for the homecoming dance. -Goodreads

Ever since I was a child I have been a fan of Peter Pan and dreamed of running off with him to Neverland. I love seeing different takes on the Peter Pan story and when I found out about this book, it immediately went on my to be read list. So I'm so thankful to the author for allowing me to read and review an ARC copy!
I love the idea of Peter being an older child and it makes since that he would age some as he flew back and forth between Neverland and reality. Even though Peter is older, he is still the same fun, adventurous, spirited boy that we know and I love that as well.
Peter knows what he wants and he isn't afraid to fight for his beliefs. The adults know about Neverland and they know about magic. They want that magic all for themselves to benefit governments and technology. They want children to grow up and get jobs and do boring things like that, but Peter believes that children should have the right to choose between reality and the magic of staying young and playing forever.
Gwen gets caught up in this magical war when her younger sister decides to follow Peter to Neverland. I loved Gwen's character and I loved following along with her on her journey. She explores the magical world of Neverland while contemplating what it really means to grow up and be caught up in reality.
I thought all of the characters were well written, well developed, and a lot of fun, especially the children of Neverland. I wished I could join the children and play along with them because who really wants to be an adult anyway?
I also loved Gwen's relationship with Peter and wished there was more of it. Then there were the other inhabitants of Neverland like the fairies, mermaids, and Indians who were mysterious and fun to meet.
The only problem I had with the book was that it seemed to end too soon. I wanted to read more because I was enjoying the book so much. I am very very happy with the decision that was made at the end of the book. I hope so much that there is a sequel because the ending was abrupt and left me with so many questions. It seemed the story was just beginning when it ended. So if there is a sequel I will be very excited to read more about this wonderful plot and fun cast of characters!
Also just a bit of warning to those who may want to know, there is just a tad bit of profanity towards the end of the book, along with teen drinking and drugs. It's not touched on very heavily though and I think it was there to show just how different reality is from the world of Neverland. The children never have to worry about any sort of temptations like drinking or doing drugs. They're free to play and enjoy life without any thing like that getting in the way, which I think is one of the beautiful things about Neverland.

The Neverland Wars is set to be released on May 9th and I would highly encourage you to check it out! I recommend this book to any fans of Peter Pan and to anyone who has ever desired to stay young forever or those who have contemplated why it's necessary to grow up.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you again for this great review! I love that you got to the book so quickly and read it so fast...I'll take that as a very good sign. I'll be sure to let my publisher know that you want a sequel too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time! I was so excited to read it! Thanks again for sending me a copy! Definitely wanting a sequel ;)

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)