Review: "Kindred Spirits" by Rainbow Rowell

Thursday, April 14, 2016










Published: February 25th 2016 by Macmillans Kids UK

Series: Stand alone

Pages: 96

Genre: YA, Contemporary, Short Story, Fiction

How I Obtained this Book: I read a paperback copy of this book that I purchased on Ebay. I have not been asked to review this book and all thoughts are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️









'Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.'
'Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?'
'Maybe.'

If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does. What she's not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectible Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels. Kindred Spirits is an engaging short story by Rainbow Rowell, author of the bestselling Eleanor & Park, Fangirl and Carry On, and is part of a handful of selected short reads specially produced for World Book Day. -Goodreads


 I am so excited that I was able to get my hands on a copy of this UK exclusive short story! Thank goodness for the amazingness that is the internet. I love that I can purchase things from other countries. I'm so sad that we don't have a World Book Day here in the US like they do in the UK because it sounds like so much fun.

I heard all of my UK friends talking about World Book Day and the exclusive short stories that were being written for the day. The two YA stories sounded like something I would want to read so I looked them up on Ebay and ordered them. They may not be free like they were in the UK but I don't mind at all.

I may not be any where near as big a fan as Elena or Gabe or Troy but I still love Star Wars and I still enjoyed this book. At first the idea of sitting in line for four days sounded a bit silly but I can understand why they wanted to do it. It's not just about the movie, it's about the experience of enjoying something you love with others who love it too.

I loved reading about all three of these characters and I wish they were all my friends. This story may have been short but it was still a great read with a much more fun plot than I had originally thought going in to it. I loved every single bit of this story and especially the ending, though I wish I could have read more about the characters. I also wish I could know what they think about the new Star Wars movie that is coming out in December. Could be a great sequel to this story right? :D

This was actually the first thing I've read of Rainbow Rowell, even though I've really been wanting to read her books. There's just so much to read and so little time, but I will be getting to her books soon and I'll be starting with Fangirl.

Kindred Spirits may be a little hard to get a hold of but if you can get your hands on a copy, I highly recommend you do. I recommend this book to any fans of Star Wars, to anyone who has ever looked for someone to accept them for who they are and what they love, and to anyone who proudly calls themselves a nerd.

Have you read Kindred Spirits? What did you think? Let me know down in the comments!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)