Camp Nanowrimo April: Week One Update

Saturday, April 9, 2016



Every Saturday I will be posting about my progress on my rough draft that I am writing during Camp Nanowrimo for April. (Don't know what Camp Nanowrimo is? Click on the links to find out more! If you love to write then you'll love Camp Nanowrimo!) I will include things like my favorite line written from the week, how I'm feeling about my writing, insights, and more! So be sure to check back here every Saturday! Also I would love to hear how your camp experience is going if you are participating, so be sure to let me know down in the comments. We can cheer each other on.








Word Count Stats:



*Note: These numbers do not include todays word count (cause I haven't written yet today)

Total Words Written: 14,054

Words Written This Week: 14,054

Words Left: 35,946



Writing Samples:



First Sentence I wrote: “Probably best to go outside and die, if you’re going to do it,” I heard a female voice say.

Last Sentence I wrote: I was very happy that my runaway horse experience had not been so eventful.

My Favorite Line/Sentence: I realized how much I had missed conversation and having fun with other humans. Sure my cat was great to talk to but she never laughed at my jokes

My Favorite Scene: I pictured Shadow and Spirit yelling at one another. Spirit would be the sensible horse, telling Shadow that snakes are no big deal, especially if you’re a million times larger than one. Shadow would yell back at him and tell him how scary the snake was and how he didn’t want to take his chances. There could be hundreds of snakes ready to attack at any moment.




Writerly Feelings:



I'm Feeling: A bit distracted by other things and not as motivated as I was in November but I still feel really good about my story. As soon as I sit down to write the words start coming, all I have to do is get myself to sit down and write.

I Learnt: This was more of a reminder, but sometimes I get it in my head that I'm not going to be able to write anything and then don't even try. However, when I'm feeling that way and I sit down to write, the words always come. Louis L'Amour sure got it right when he said, "Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on."

My Best Writing Session: Not sure any one session was better than the other, but I'd say day seven came pretty close. I hadn't felt like writing but I wrote anyway and I really got into what I was writing. Also a new scene that I hadn't planned emerged and I always love it when that happens.

Trials, Tribulations & Triumphs: Just being able to get myself motivated this week, there's been a few new and exciting things happening this week that has distracted me. However, I've still been ahead on my word count even though I went three days this week without writing. That was definitely a triumph!

Things to Keep in Mind Next Week: Looking forward to a new week and hopefully more motivation. I think I just need to keep in mind that, whether I feel motivated or not I should still try to sit down and write something even if it's only a sentence or a paragraph.

Well that's it for now! I hope you enjoyed reading about my progress. Be sure to check back next Saturday for another update on my writing progress!

Are you participating in Camp Nanowrimo this month? Let me know down in the comments how your first week went!



P.S: Find me on the Camp Nanowrimo website here: My Profile Page

2 comments:

  1. Reflecting at the end of each week is a splendid idea! Since this is my first Camp NaNoWriMo experience, I should probably get in the habit of doing the same.

    I agree with what you mentioned in the Writerly Feelings section. The simple act of sitting down to write allows the creativity to pour out. Whenever I find myself doubting my story, just showing up at my writing space turns on the faucet. Also, the opening line in your writing sample definitely caught my attention! Sounds like intense material.

    Here's to your success in your Camp NaNo goals this week, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      I've found that reflecting each week or even each day really helps me to learn better what works for me and what doesn't. It has significantly helped with my writing in general. Especially for getting through, and enjoying the Nanowrimo experience.
      Yes it always happens that way, the hard thing is always getting myself to just sit down and focus. Especially since I'm so easily distracted.
      I'm glad you like the first line! It's not the opening line to my novel but the first one I wrote for camp, and it's a favorite of mine.

      Thank you so much! And to your success too!

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)