Camp Nanowrimo April: Week Four Update

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Every Saturday I will be posting about my progress on my rough draft that I am writing during Camp Nanowrimo for April. (Don't know what Camp Nanowrimo is? Click on the links to find out more! If you love to write then you'll love Camp Nanowrimo!) This is my final post for April but I will be participating in the second session of Camp in July. Also I would love to hear how your camp experience is going if you are participating, so be sure to let me know down in the comments. We can cheer each other on.

Check out my other updates here: 




Word Count Stats:



Total Words Written:  50,124

Words Written this Week: 9,851

Words Left: 0

Writing Samples:



First Sentence I Wrote: She hoisted herself up into the tree house and sat on the floor, cross legged, in front of me.

Last Sentence I Wrote:  "Yes, Sir," I said.

My Favorite Line/Sentence:  I looked up and to my horror I saw Sawley standing at the bottom of the lifeguard stand where the hot life guard sat. She shouted at him, "My sister, Junie Poonie, things you are super hot." She pointed over to me and I thought I would die of embarrassment as everyone in the pool area went silent and stared in my direction.

Then to make matters worse, she said, "You're okay but that other lifeguard is much hotter in my opinion," she said, pointing in the direction of a lifeguard named Terrance, a boy that was in my English class last year. He burst out laughing at that and I saw the hot lifeguard shoot him a glare.

And then Sawley just skipped away and waded into the shallow end, like she hadn't just ruined my life.

My Favorite Scene: 

He smiled again and just as I saw my mom walk up behind him, he said, "You know, you look even better with your clothes on."

Mom practically spit out the coffee, she had been drinking.

My mouth fell open as I realized what he had said, and what it must sound like to my mom. I knew what he meant, of course, but the way he said it and that look on my mom's face...

"What???" my mom yelled.

Heritage jumped and spun around, practically tripping over himself and me.

Mom got up in his face, pinning him against the wall. "What did you just say, young man?" Mom looked from him to me.

"No Mom," I said.

Heritage's eyes grew large, probably realizing what he had just said. "Oh. Crap. No. That sounded wrong didn't it? You see... I ... we... I'm a lifeguard at the pool and every time I see her she has on her bathing suit. Which is of course clothes but it's different, you know, and..." he was talking a mile a minute. he scooted to the left to try and get a way from my mom. "I...I'm going to go now." He rushed off down the hall.

My mom looked at me, her mouth gaped open.

"What was that all about?" she demanded, as soon as he was out of sight.

"Just some guy I met at the pool," I said. "Every time I see him something embarrassing happens. Last time I got embarrassed. I guess it was his turn." I couldn't hold it in anymore, I burst out laughing.

"Young lady," she said, putting a hand on her hip and shaking her coffee cup at me. "What is so funny?"

"Gosh, Mom," I said, practically in tears. "You should have seen the look on your face."

"Well what on earth do you expect," she said, a smile growing on the corner of her lips. "I don't know about you going to this school, Junie." She glanced down the hallway where Heritage had retreated. "Or the pool for that matter."


Writerly Feelings:



I'm Feeling:  Happy that I reached my goal and glad that I'll get a break from speed writing for a couple months. Although, I've already got some shiny new ideas for what I may want to write in August's camp session.

My Best Writing Session:  was my last writing session on day 27. When I sat down to write I had a little over 4K words to go to reach my goal and I had planned on writing 2K. I wasn't really feeling like writing at first, but then I joined in on Tamara's virtual write in over on her Youtube channel. I ended up being able to write the rest of the words I needed and had a lot of fun doing it!

Trials, Tribulations & Triumphs: I felt like I was beginning to run out of steam this week. All I wanted to do was read books instead of write them. Not only that but I wasn't getting bursts of ideas like I had last week. But I sat down to write anyway and then the words started to flow. Maybe not as easily as they had been, but I was getting words none the less and it felt really good.




Final Review:



Days that I hit the target word count: 17

Day I hit my total target word count: 27

Best time of day to write: definitely at night, I'm such a night owl and I seem to think a lot better at that time of day. There were several sessions where I stayed up past midnight writing.

Where I spent most of my time writing: Either in my studio or at the library, my two favorite places to be. I'm so inspired by both of these spaces.

Most productive day: Day 12... I wrote 4,428 words and they flowed so easily. I was writing because I was really enjoying it and not for the sake of getting words.



I hope you enjoyed reading about my progress during this event! It has been such a wonderful and productive month. I've gotten more reading done than I thought, and I reached my writing goal.

Check back in July as I will be participating in another Camp Nanowrimo session then. I've already got a few ideas for what I might write, but nothing is defined yet. I'm off to take a break from writing and will have more time to do more blog posts about reading now!

My book haul, April wrap-up, and TBR posts will be up soon so keep a look out for those!


Did you participate in Camp Nanowrimo? I'd love to hear how the month went for you. Let me know down in the comments!


P.S: Find me on the Camp Nanowrimo website here: My Profile Page

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)