Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books I Love

Tuesday, March 22, 2016



The Top Ten Tuesday topic of the day over on the Broke and Bookish blog is: "Ten Books I Really Love But Feel Like I Haven't Talked About Enough/In A While". Since I've just recently started this blog, I haven't really talked much about a good amount of books yet. So I've decided to just do: "Ten Books I Love" (Since I'll be talking about the Harry Potter Books next Tuesday I won't be including them in this list)


Ten Books I Love:





As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

I came across Jackson Pearce on YouTube back in 2013 and I loved watching her videos, especially her ones on writing. I looked up her books on Goodreads and found As You Wish. I was very intrigued by the summary of the book and decided to give it try.
I quickly fell in love with this book and it has been added to my all time favorite books list!
I haven't read it since 2013 and I'm hoping to do a re-read soon. Hopefully I'll love it just as much as I did then.







Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

I first read Stargirl when I was in High School, after it was recommended to me by a friend. I loved it and gave it a four star review. It wasn't until 2012 that I found out that there was a sequel to the book. I decided to give it a try and I fell completely in love! I actually loved it a lot more than the first book.
At first I was a bit nervous to read it as I was afraid it would take away from the mystery and magic of Stargirl's character in the first book. This second book is told from her perspective and allows us to see her as more human, more real than she was in the first book from Leo's perspective. Even so, the book was still magical, fun, and very very enjoyable.
This is another book that I hope to reread soon!




The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

I came across this book series when I was in middle school. I actually found the second book first and read it without realizing it was part of a series. I absolutely loved the book and the second one became my favorite.
When I found out it was a series I read the first and third but have yet to read the fourth, which didn't sound as interesting as the others, but I hope to eventually give it a try.
This was the book that first turned me on to fantasy and inspired me to give that genre a try in my writing.
I also hope to reread this series soon and give the fourth book a try. I have a lot of great memories associated with these books and I hope that rereading won't take away from that.



The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders will always hold a special place in my heart.
This book was an assigned read in eighth grade and it was the book that inspired me to write my own stories. I've always loved writing and I've always loved stories but I never really gave the thought of being an author until I read this book. I also did not really fall in love with reading until I read this.
I've always been so grateful to my 8th grade English teacher for assigning this book and for helping me fall in love with grammar and English. I failed at that subject until I took her class, after that English was my best subject and one I still love to this day.







The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

In 2013 I found out that this book had won the Newbery Medal for that year and after reading the summary I was excited to read it!
This is a middle grade book and a very quick read with short sentences and even shorter chapters. It may be a quick read but it is easy to see why it won the award. It is such a beautiful story told from the point of view of a gorilla who lives in a big top themed mall. He befriends a little elephant and the two of them dream of being free from their cage. Not only does Ivan, the gorilla, dream of being free, he decides to do something about it.
I absolutely loved it!





This was a book club pick for a local book club that I attend every now and then. I had not heard of this book prior and do not always enjoy murder mysteries but decided to give it a try.
This book is from the point of view of an eleven year old girl named Flavia who is a chemistry prodigy.
Even though the story itself was great, I loved this book because of Flavia. She is one of my absolute favorite heroine's to date.









Just One Wish by Janette Rallison

I came across this book when I was browsing the YA section in my local library. I had just finished reading Jackson Pearce's As You Wish and the "wish" type of books were appealing to me because I wanted to find another great read like hers.
While this book wasn't as good as Pearce's As You Wish, it was still a fun, great read.
The main character is Annika and her little brother has cancer. She wants to make her brother happy so much that she goes off to Hollywood to find her brother's favorite celebrity in the hopes that she can convince him to come home with her to meet her little brother.




Dizzy by Cathy Cassidy

I read this book back in 2013 after I found out about the author, Cathy Cassidy, through some online friends of mine.
It is a middle grade book about a girl named Dizzy who gets pulled from her home and thrust into a world of hippies, traveling, and outdoor festivals.
I loved Dizzy's character and enjoyed going on this fun, difficult journey of hers.
It's been a while since I've read it but has always stuck with me and I have great memories of reading it.







Angel of Mercy by Lurlene McDaniel

I originally discovered Lurlene McDaniel's books when I was browsing through shelves in my local library. Her books explore life and loss and love. They are so beautifully written and are full of so many emotions.
This particular book is about a teenage girl who goes on a hospital mercy ship to Africa and is unprepared for all that she will see when she gets there. Amid the disease, famine, and misery she finds light and love in a Scottish Doctor who is on the same ship.
Such a beautiful heart wrenching story that I fell in love with.










The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

This is another book that was a book club pick from last year. It was a fun book about love, friendship, finding yourself, and sticking up for what you believe. There was even a great twist at the end. 
Another book I love and am so glad that I read. This is not one of my absolute favorite books but I still enjoyed it and would highly recommend it!







I hope you all enjoyed reading my list! Have you read any of these books? Let me know down in the comments.







8 comments:

  1. I love what you have to say about the Outsiders. I read so much as a kid then stopped in junior high and that was the assigned book in junior high that got me back into loving to read outside of school again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear that this book had such a great impact on you as well! I love how powerful stories can be!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to find another Stargirl fan! I loved the sequel because it added so much to the story and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Stargirl. I've added As You Wish to my list, it sounds a little cheesy - which I love far, far too much.

    Under The Mountain Of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stargirl is the best, huh! I'm really looking forward to reading it again soon. I definitely recommend it highly. Oh I hope you enjoy, As You Wish! It's such a fun read and I thought the love story was really sweet :)

      Delete
  3. The Sugar Queen!!!!! That one should have made my list this week too :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I read Dizzy forever ago. Like pre 2011, haha. I'm not even sure how I got the book, but it was really fun and cute. Great list :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes Dizzy was such a fun read! I wish more of Cathy Cassidy books had been available here but our library only had two

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)