Throwback Thursday: Featuring a Book From the Past

Thursday, March 24, 2016


It is Throwback Thursday today on the blog and to celebrate I will be featuring a cherished book from my childhood. Read on to find out what it is!










Written by:  Emily Perl Kingsley

Illustrator:  Maggie Swanson

Published:  1980

Publisher:  Golden Press


ISBN:  0307231135







Farley Goes to the Doctor addresses childhood fears of the doctor and shots. The plot follows Farley as he visits Dr. Rothman for his annual checkup. Farley takes along his teddy bear for moral support. Other patients include Ernie (who has a sore throat) and Grover (whose arm is in a sling). By the book's end, Farley is so pleased with his visit that he anxiously wants to get home to perform medical examinations on all of his stuffed animals. -Muppet Wiki














Did you ever have a story, as a child, that you asked to have read to you every single day? Well Farley Goes to the Doctor was mine. It is also the story I have the earliest memory of loving.
Every single night I begged my mom to read this story to me; I couldn't get enough of it.

I also have one strong memory tied to this story. I loved Farley's teddy bear so much that I dreamed of having one of my own, just like it. It wasn't until Christmas Eve night that I realized I could get one if I asked Santa to bring him to me.

I wrote a letter to Santa asking him for the purple teddy bear and I stuck it in my stocking for him to find when he came that night. The next morning I got up and instead of a purple teddy bear there was a note from Santa saying that he couldn't give me the teddy bear because I hadn't given him enough notice. Haha. I had been so convinced that Santa had magic and that he could just use that magic to conjure up the teddy bear, guess not. It was a bit of a disappointing event for me, but I still have fond memories of my mother reading this story to me each night. Not sure why I loved it so much, maybe because of the colorful, fun illustrations, maybe because of that bear, maybe because of the words, not sure. But it will always be a book from my childhood that I remember fondly.

Do you have a childhood book that you remember loving? Tell me about it in the comments! Also let me know if you remember this book or this book series!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)