Review: The Love That Split The World by Emily Henry

Sunday, March 27, 2016





Published: 26 January 2016

Series: Stand alone

Pages: 396

Genre: YA, Magical Realism, Romance

How I Obtained this Book: I got a hardcover copy of this in my February Owlcrate subscription box. This book was purchased by me. I have not been asked to review this book and all thoughts are my own.


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️









Natalie Cleary must risk her future and leap blindly into a vast unknown for the chance to build a new world with the boy she loves.
Natalie’s last summer in her small Kentucky hometown is off to a magical start... until she starts seeing the “wrong things.” They’re just momentary glimpses at first—her front door is red instead of its usual green, there’s a pre-school where the garden store should be. But then her whole town disappears for hours, fading away into rolling hills and grazing buffalo, and Nat knows something isn’t right.
That’s when she gets a visit from the kind but mysterious apparition she calls “Grandmother,” who tells her: “You have three months to save him.” The next night, under the stadium lights of the high school football field, she meets a beautiful boy named Beau, and it’s as if time just stops and nothing exists. Nothing, except Natalie and Beau.
Emily Henry’s stunning debut novel is Friday Night Lights meets The Time Traveler’s Wife, and perfectly captures those bittersweet months after high school, when we dream not only of the future, but of all the roads and paths we’ve left untaken. -Goodreads


I finished reading this book at about 3am last night and even though I stayed up late to finish it, I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about it. This one is really hard for me to rate. There were things I loved about this story and there were things I really didn't. After reading the beginning I was very tempted to put the book down and not continue on with it, but since this is one I paid money for I felt like I had to finish it.

I enjoyed certain aspects of it. One large reason is the main character, Natalie. I enjoyed reading from her point of view and she was a very likable character. I loved a few things about her interactions with Beau towards the middle and near the end of the book. There were a few things I liked about Beau but I felt like there were things missing to his character, like I didn't really know him very well.

A couple of things I did not like about the book are just based on my personal opinion. Things that are just not 'my cup of tea'. This book was saturated with teen drinking and I personally don't like to read about drinking at all or at least have it be very little in a book. The other thing I don't like to have in a book is profanity. I'd prefer not to read books with it at all, but if a book has just a few then I can gloss over those or try to ignore them. This book wasn't saturated with them but there was a whole lot more than I would have liked.

The biggest problem I had with the book was the insta love. I've said before that I don't mind insta love in some cases, but this was not one of them. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get into their relationship at all, but it was a very small chunk of the book that I enjoyed. The problem I have with it is that their love absolutely doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand why they love each other so much because there was no real reason shown as to why they should. Even though Matt could be a jerk at times, her relationship with him made more sense because they grew up together and they had reasons for loving one another. Natalie and Beau's relationship basically consisted of making out. I spent a lot of my time rolling my eyes at their "relationship".  It was also a little annoying that Beau was basically described to look like some sort of greek sex god. I agree with others who say that it'd be nice to have books that include normal looking people because normal looking guys can be sexy and attractive as well.

There was a lot of info dump in this story, which included a character spending paragraphs describing psychology information. Normally I'm not big on info dumps but I found the information to be very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.

I think this story was very unique and imaginative and the writing itself was beautiful. It had a lot of potential but for me personally I feel like it was missing some things. I think if the book was longer it could have let room for more character development and a better romance. Also I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that ending but I don't think I like it. I feel very unsatisfied with it.

Oh and I figured out who Grandmother was by page four and I felt like it was completely 100 percent obvious throughout the book. Not sure if anyone else felt this way because I haven't seen others writing about it in their reviews. When I got to the end of the book I was happy to find out that I had been right because if it had gone another way I would have been shocked because of all the hits at who she was.

So I ended up giving this book a three star rating but still not sure if that would be accurate enough. I didn't dislike this book but I also didn't love it. I'm glad I decided to finish it, but a bit disappointed at how it was ended.

Have you read The Love That Split The World? What did you think? Be sure to note if you're going to include spoilers incase others reading haven't read the book yet.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)