Introducing: My April 2016 Camp Nanowrimo Project

Tuesday, March 15, 2016



Like a lot of readers, I love to write stories as well as read them. Even before I learned how to spell, I loved to come up with my own stories.

Because of my love of story telling, it was no wonder that I fell in love with an event called National Novel Writing Month.

National Novel Writing Month is a non-profit organization that encourages people of all ages from all over the world to sit down and finally write that novel!

This November will be ten years that I've participated in Nanowrimo and will be my twenty-first Nanowrimo event.

While Nanowrimo's big event happens in November, they also host two sessions during April and July. These events are called: Camp Nanowrimo! I'm already preparing my notes and outlines to participate in April and I am so excited!

During the months of April, July, and November I will post Nanowrimo information and updates on my writings as well as continue with bookish related posts.

If you haven't heard of Nanowrimo I highly recommend you check it out and join in!


My 2016 April Camp Nanowrimo Project:


Working Title: Hello, Sunshine

Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Friendship

POV: 1rst person

Rough Summary: 

Summer has finally come and it’s time for Kimmy to leave college and head home for summer break, but going home means having to face her family and friends. It means having to tell them that the boy she thought she was going to spend the rest of her life with, dropped her like a sack of potatoes several months ago.

So she decides to hide away for the summer by applying to be a Camp Counselor at a small sleep away camp nestled in the valley of the blue ridge mountains of Virginia. All she has to do is forget about her problems and focus on the kids. Simple right?

Well it would have been simple had she not inadvertently made an enemy the first day she arrived at camp, and it would have been simple had she not caught the eye of her co-camp counselor, an adorable computer nerd named Adam.

The last thing in the world she wants is to even think about opening herself up to another person, especially after the last guy took all of her trust and crushed it up into a million tiny pieces. But as summer strolls along Kimmy is finding that some people may be worth that terrible, awful risk called love.




Short Excerpt: I shoved the screen door open with my foot and threw my two enormous duffel bags onto the dirty wooden floor. “Finally,” I moaned. I dropped to my knees and fell down over the bags, breathing in the smell of canvas and sweat. It was now that I felt the agonizing repercussions of sitting on my butt for the past couple months, shoving those little powdered donuts into my face. “I’m gonna die,” I whined. “Right here and now before camp even starts.”

More about the plot:

Hello, Sunshine is a re-write of a previous Camp Nanowrimo rough draft that I did back in 2012. My working title for it at the time was, Camp Counselors, and it was written in third person. I also wrote it without much preparation and so it didn't have much of a plot, even though I did reach my word goal of 50,000 words in one month. This year I'm doing a bit more preparation and have added and changed around the idea. 

Since this is "Camp" Nanowrimo I thought it would be fun to send my characters to summer camp. The story is told by twenty year old Kimmy, who has decided to hide away during her summer break from college by becoming a camp counselor at a small sleep away camp for children 7-17. The name of the camp is Camp Mountain Ridge. She decided to apply to a camp that she has never been to before in order to start over; to be around people who don't know what happened back at college. She wants to be away from all of the looks of sympathy and personal questions so that she can forget all about her problems. Little does Kimmy know, that she is stepping right into the middle of the aftermath from the events that happened between the counselors, the summer before. She gets pulled into their drama and in the mean time is able to work through her own and find out that some people are worth her trust, while others are most certainly not.

Theme Inspirations:

Originally my story was inspired by Demi Lovato's song "Give Your Heart a Break" and also a quote from one of my favorite TV shows, Stargate SG 1. One of the characters, Sam Carter, says, "that is the only way you make new friends, take a chance on someone and hope you don’t regret it”



Well that's all I'll share for now, of course this is still just a big work in progress and will probably need several more rewrites after I write this rough draft. I enjoy the discovery that draft writing brings about. I hope you enjoyed reading about my project.

Are you participating in Nanowrimo? I'd love to hear what you're planning to write! Let me know down in the comments!

You can find my profile on Camp Nanowrimo by clicking this banner:










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)