January and February Wrap Up 2016

Tuesday, March 1, 2016





2016 has started out pretty well for me! One of my goals this year is to spend more time reading and writing and I feel like I've already made a good start to that goal. I'm hoping to be able to pick up speed and have time to read even more books each month. 

So I thought I'd share with you all, the books I've read in January and February!




January


My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I started out the year by reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer. This book is the first book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

When I heard the premise behind this book I knew I had to read it! Cinderella as a cyborg mechanic from the future? How cool is that!

I had a bit of hard time getting into the story at the beginning, but I think that was only because I had just finished The Selection by Kiera Cass, book one in The Selection series. I was still a bit caught up in that world and wondering what was going to happen next with those characters.

I thought this story was well written, unique, and enjoyable and now my favorite retelling of the Cinderella story.


 My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Next I read The Elite by Kiera Cass. This book is the second book in The Selection series.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this series. There were parts I didn't really enjoy, parts I did, and times when I just couldn't stop reading. 
I've never been a fan of "the bachelor" type stories but for some reason I still enjoyed this book. 

The Elite was not my favorite in the series. There was a lot of repetition because of her indecision on whether or not she wants to choose Maxon or Aspen. 

I love Maxon but for the majority of this book I was rooting for Aspen. I found him very sweet and I think had I had the choice, he is the one I would have chosen at this point.

This was a quick read for me and while there were parts I didn't like, I ended up giving it four stars because I still enjoyed it and couldn't put the book down when I started reading it.


My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

After reading The Elite I continued on with the series by reading The One, book three in The Selection series.

I have been having a very hard time putting into words how I feel about this book. I enjoyed this one the most out of all three, and I don't know how to explain my feelings without giving anything away. I found the ending both happy and sad and couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days after finishing the book.

There was one part about the ending that I couldn't stop thinking about and thought was a little unnecessary. There was also another thing about the ending that I had a really hard time with. Gosh, I really just want to say what those things are but I'm going to keep this spoiler free. Maybe I'll do a spoiler review soon that can be read by those who have already read the book.

Anyway, this was another quick read for me. I think I read more than half of the book in one night and ended up staying up until like three in the morning to finish it. I just had to see how it ended and because the book captivated me that much, I ended up giving it four stars. Although this particular read was really hard for me to rate, sometimes I think I should give it three.


February



My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I decided to start out February by reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, which is the first book in The Hunger Games trilogy.

I have been putting off reading this series for quite some time now. It has been on my to read list for a long time.

When I first heard about this series I was hesitant to read it because I was really put off by the idea of children having to go into a game where their first priority was to kill one another for the amusement of the whole country.

I ended up watching the movie series because I met some friends at a theatre (they had already bought my ticket when I had arrived) and I sat down in the theatre as the movie was starting and realized we were about to watch the second movie in the series (I had not seen the first). I actually ended up enjoying the movie and ended up watching the first movie so that I could get a better idea of what was going on. I didn't enjoy the first movie, only because I didn't like seeing the children being killed. Then I ended up watching Mocking Jay Part 1 when it came to theaters and I remember that I enjoyed that one, though it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Anyway, I decided to read this book after a few online friends of mine announced it was the book they were reading for their Goodreads book club.

I thought the writing was excellent and I felt like I was actually there with Katniss. I loved Katniss' character and I loved how sweet Peta was. My favorite part of the book was when the two of them were hanging out in the cave together taking care of one another. I ended up giving this book three stars because, while the book was very well written, still the idea of the whole thing was too unsettling for my own personal tastes. I just had a hard time reading about the children being murdered and killed.

I will most likely continue reading the trilogy but it is going to be some time before I pick up the second book as I have a lot more books on my to read list that I'm anxious to get to. 


My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I was browsing through the shelves at my local library when I came across Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass. This book is a companion book to The Selection series and contains short stories, novellas, a map of Illea, beautiful illustrations, and more!

The Queen was the first novella in the book and is told from Queen Amberley's perspective back when she was in the selection. I enjoyed reading from her point of view and getting to know a little bit more about her and Prince Clarkson. It shows even then how much of jerk he really is, but you get kind of a glimpse into why he is the way he is.

The Prince was told from Maxon's point of view, starting right at the beginning of the selection. I absolutely loved reading his point of view. I kind of wish there was another novel in the series where we go through the series told completely from his point of view.

The Guard was told from Aspen's point of view and shows his feelings as he watches America slip away from him. I really liked reading from his point of view though I wish I could have seen more into how he fell in love with Lucy. I really find their relationship a bit hard to believe since he kept saying he would fight for America and that she was the only one for him. I felt like he didn't really do much fighting for her, he kind of just let her do her own thing without telling her his real feelings for her.

The Favorite was Marlee's perspective and my favorite story in this book. When I was reading the selection series I was really curious to know more about Marlee and what her story was. She could have her own series as well, but this novella was excellent in giving more insight into her world.

The Maid was a short story told from Lucy's perspective. I think her story helped a bit in explaining about her relationship with Aspen so I'm glad that this was included.

Celeste's Story was also one that I was glad that was included. I really liked seeing things from her perspective and seeing how she changed through out the story.

After the One was such a cute little story about how things were going for Maxon and America, I think one or two years after The One ended. I read this story first even though it was one of the last in the book because I really wanted to see how they were doing after the story had ended.

There was also a section that showed little written updates on how some of the other girls were doing and how their life had gone after they were eliminated from the contest. This was also fun to read.

At the very end was a chapter of Kiera Cass' novel The Siren. After reading it I didn't find myself intrigued enough to want to actually go and pick up the book and keep reading.

Overall I really loved getting a chance to see the story from the different character's perspectives! I love the idea of an author having a companion book like this for their series. As someone who enjoys writing, I can see how writing from the other character's points of view can be a lot of fun.



My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Next up, I continued on with the Lunar Chronicles by reading the second book in the series, Scarlet.

I have to say I think I enjoyed this one just a bit more than I did Cinder. You can read my full review by going here: Review for Scarlet by Marissa Meyer.






My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

And last but most definitely not least, I finished up the month by reading Starflight by Melissa Landers. The first book in the Starflight series.

This book was definitely my favorite read of the year so far. It had everything I love in a book: humor, romance, adventure, and friendship. 

You can read my full review by going here: Review for Starflight by Melissa Landers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)