Review: Starlight by Melissa Landers

Monday, February 29, 2016




Published:  February 2nd 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

Series: Starflight #1

Pages: 369

Genre: YA, Sci-fi, Romance

How I Obtained this Book: I read a hardcover copy of this book that I got from my local library. I have not been asked to review this book and all thoughts are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️








Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.
When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...  -Goodreads Summary



What an adventure! I absolutely loved this exciting ride through space! I laughed, I cried, it was thrilling. This book is without a doubt a five star read for me, and it is a rare thing for me to find books I love that much.

While I haven't spent much time reading sci-fi, I am a big fan of sci-fi. My all time favorite show is Stargate SG1, and while this book was not similar, the fact that it was an adventure in space gave me all the happy feels I get when watching Stargate. I realized after reading this book that I need more of the sci-fi genre in my life and hope to find more of it to add to my "to read" pile. 

The book drew me in right at the beginning, as I met Solara, who is desperate to get away from a life where everyone judges her for the ink that has been tattooed on her knuckles. She believes that she can escape this life by making it to the outer realm, but unfortunately the trip cost money and she has none. So what does she do? Desperation drives her into agreeing to indenture herself to a rich jerk named Doran Spaulding, the same Doran Spaulding who made her life a nightmare all through out high school.

I absolutely loved this story of adventure, love, and finding out what it really means to be a family.  The characters were funny and enjoyable. The story was told in third person limited and went back and forth between Solara and Doran's perspectives. I loved reading from their points of view and I thought their character arcs, especially Doran's, was very well done. I loved seeing how they progressed and grew through out the story. The other characters were also well written, and I wished the crew on the Banshee could be my friends too. Even the space pirates were fun to read about.

The story did have a tiny bit of language in it. I personally don't like this in stories at all. Still, it wasn't so much language that I would have had to put the book down and move on. Other than this, I thought the book was awesome.

I pretty much spent the entire day yesterday reading this book because I just had to know what happened next. Well written, enjoyable, funny, and an exhilarating ride through space, I would recommend this book to anyone who loves sci-fi, adventures, and a bit of light romance.    

This was my first experience with books written by Melissa Landers and now I want to give her other books a try!

Have you read Starflight? I'd love hear your thoughts on the book! Also if you have any good sic-fi books you can recommend please let me know down in the comments!

Well I'm off to read the next book on my list, Passenger by Alexandra Bracken! Keep an eye out for my next review coming soon!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)