Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Thursday, February 25, 2016





Published:   February 5, 2013 by Feiwel and Friends

Series: The Lunar Chronicles #2

Pages: 452

Genre: YA Fairy Tale Retelling/Sci-Fi

How I Obtained this Book: I read a hard back copy of this book that I got from my local library. I have not been asked to review this book and all thoughts are my own.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️










Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.” -Goodreads summary



I first found out about Marissa Meyer through a National Novel Writing Month interview that she did in October of 2015. Right away I looked up her book series, The Lunar Chronicles, on Goodreads and decided to add it to my to be read list. I wish I had found out about this author sooner because, even though I have only just finished her second book, I am loving her writing.

After reading a few books in between Cinder, I was excited to get back into this world and find out what was happening with Cinder. I fell in love with Cinder’s character even more in this book and loved seeing how her character was developing from where she started out at the beginning of Cinder.

For some reason I had a bit of a hard time getting into Scarlet’s story at the beginning, but fell in love with Cinder’s right from the beginning. I love Cinder and Thorne’s relationship and the banter that they have with one another! I’m looking forward to seeing more of this, hopefully, in the next book.

After getting more into the book, I started falling in love with Scarlet and Wolf and their stories. Wolf was so quiet at first that I really wanted to learn more about him, and I was happy when he began to open up more. I also love that I was left trying to guess exactly what his motives were. He is, after all, supposed to be "the big bad wolf" right?  or is he?

I wished Kai had a bit more involvement in the story. Poor guy, so much weight on his shoulders, so many hard decisions, so many lives he’s responsible for! I don’t know what I would do if I were in his shoes. I’m hoping to see more of him in Cress.

Even though I may have had a bit of a struggle at the beginning, I ended up reading the majority of this book all in one day because I just could not put it down, it was that good. I may have even enjoyed this book a bit more than I did Cinder.

I have to say that I absolutely love Marissa Meyer’s take on these fairy tales. Her retellings are so unique and creative. Sci-fi plus fairy tales? Yes please! Who would have thought to make Cinderella a cyborg mechanic from the future? That is genius!

Thank you so much Marissa Meyer for writing such a fun, well written, and clever book. I’m looking forward to continuing on the journey with the characters in the next book in the series, Cress.

If you love sci-fi, a bit of romance, and fairy tales then this is definitely the book for you!

I'm off to read more books! See you for the next review, which will be Starflight by Melissa Landers!




 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)